Thursday, May 28, 2009

Spanish Royals Visit Colombia

Their Highnesses the Prince and Princess of the Asturias are currently on an official visit to Colombia. They will be commemorating the Colombian victims of terrorism, pledging Spanish support in the continuing struggle with that issue and making the usual round of social visits, talking about economic ties and speaking to the Spanish community. It would be better, in my opinion, for the Latin American countries to seek closer political and economic ties with Spain rather than trying to get closer to the US and extend NAFTA southward. I would prefer a sort of Spanish version of the British Commonwealth (I know, it's not called "British" anymore but ask me if I care!) for the nations that make up what was once the empire of Spain. I would also like to see the British Commonwealth strengthened too and let organizations such as these eclipse the UN, EU and hopefully thwart efforts to enact of NAU. From what I have see, these massive international organizations are useless at best and threats to the freedom, traditions and even independence of countries at worst. It might seem odd for the future King of Spain to be joining in celebrations for Colombian independence in front of a huge statue of Simon Bolivar, but I guess if Queen Elizabeth II can visit the US for the celebrations in 1976 the Spanish can do the same.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...